I was lucky enough to see The Force Awakens and I was not disappointed. I know there are people who haven't seen it yet, so here is a spoiler-free review.
- John Boyega has chemistry with everyone he interacts with. You care about his character from the first second you meet him.
- BB-8 is as charming as he is fascinating to watch. I wish I could figure out how his head stayed on.
- It was visually modern, but had a real lived in feel.
- There was no stunt casting. Everything and everyone had a purpose.
- The music is like another character.
- I don't think everything is as it appears.
As to whether or not I would bring kids to see the movie. I'm still torn, which might be a sign of no. There were defenitely scenes that were scary. And some of the plot is a little hard to follow. If someone handed me a DVD of The Force Awakens I would put it on for the kids, mostly because scenes can be fast forwarded and paused for explanation on who is who among the new characters.